Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ever since I was a boy being outdoors was where I preferred to be. My family vacations consisted of camping, hiking, rafting, and trips to national and state parks. Instead of hotels we had tents, instead of skyscrapers it was the Grand Canyon. I’ve also always been an avid outdoorsman. Hunting and fishing have always been a passion of mine, a passion that was passed down from my father and still shared to this day. Needless to say my idea of preservation tends to lead more towards the natural side of things. The woods, the lakes, the wildlife, thats where preservation needs to be the strongest, and while it may not be the first known preservation activity, it was the first where the government stepped in leading to the creation of Yellowstone in 1872.

Don’t get me wrong I believe in preserving the culture of our society. I can appreciate the aesthetics of a well constructed and beautiful building. I was taught from a young age to take care of your stuff and they will last. So in Keeping Time when Murtagh, says to think of preservation as a good maintenance program, I completely agree. This not only preserves the history and culture associated to a certain building but also has a benefit to the outdoors in saving materials.

What I find a little harder to swallow is restoration. Gutting and replacing out the insides of a building just to leave the face or front facade, and then stating that the building is from certain period is a shame. It maybe harsh but I’m a believer in if you can’t do it right don’t do it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment