Sunday, September 4, 2011

Preservation lived in

During the 2010-2011 school year at MIAD, I lived in a historic house located on 33rd and Lisbon Street. Before moving there, I didn't know anything about the place nor the city of Milwaukee. I didn't know the kind of neighborhood it was but I needed a place to live while I attended school. When I met the landlord, he started telling me several facts about the house that I would be living in. Little did I know that the place was an actual mansion built in the mid 1900s by a very rich dentist from the area (the story is preserved that way at least). The house was very old indeed, with exposed walls and high ceilings.


The place was built in a Victorian style because of the complexity of the patterns found in several areas of the facade as well as the highly ornamented stairs and doors that were still maintained that way when I was there. I lived in one of the floors of the building and really enjoyed the historic feeling that the place provided because I sensed a connection with the story behind the house. I felt the beginning of its existence through the tale that I was given by the landlord and experienced its age through my experience living there as I would notice the rusty heater, screeching stairs and floors, old doors and cracked walls, hence the reason it was later titled the crack house, although I always saw it as the Victorian palace.


Aside of the physical aspect of things, preservation to me thus far is very much an illusion that we create through stories that make up a part of our history. Through this same human characteristic, women's passion for preservation in the mid 1800s gave pride to citizens for their own identity through meaningful places that could be relative to their experiences in the struggles of everyday life. Whether, it'd be equality or other supplemental reason, the fight to preserve created a sense of community amongts those who believed in sustaining an important. environment.


The National Trust for Historic Preservation was also another expression of pride for the skilled craft of Americans in the mid 1900s. This group gave recognition to the already exisitng structures that could be connected to the current situation of every existing individual. In a personal perspective, preservation shows that its provision for oneself's identity in defined ways. For instance, we need a building defined by its history defined by a name defined by an entity defined by the event where it is recorded. All in all Preservation lived in appears to be more inclusive and open-minded to the possibilities that will validate its existence.

1 comment:

  1. What is the address of the house? It would be interesting to see how accurate the oral history is to the historical facts about the house.

    ReplyDelete