Monday, September 5, 2011

Preservation And The Marriott Hotel

The preservation of historical landmarks in the US has fortunately evolved over the last century. William J. Murtagh’s book, Keeping Time points out to the reader early reconstruction efforts were to pay respect to and recognize the accomplishments of known Americans who impacted our lives in the pursuit of what it is to be American and largely was lead by women. Maybe the care-giving roles most woman play influence their preservation efforts.


When describing rehabilitation I like the idea of preserving the feel and character of the original building. When I think about the renovations, like the Pabst complex in downtown Milwaukee, to maintain the historic significance of a time and place is very appealing to me.


In a 21st century world that moves quickly, impulsively and selfishly it is critically important to protect and respect history and pause to respect and consider the ethics of the purpose and goals of reconstruction and building practices.


Before we went to see the buildings that are part of the Marriott Hotel project, I really did not have a good idea of their appearance. I was sure that the building would look very “historical”. I was all for the city and the development team working together to save as much as he building as possible.; but when I actually saw the buildings my view turned completely around. I was stunned how ugly the façade was. Granted, it is in very bad condition, but I still think as a design it is just horrid.


Also, we really do need more hotels in this city. Not enough hotel room space is a big reason why major sporting and other large events and conventions do not take place in or near Milwaukee.


Murtagh, William J. Keeping Time: The History and Theory of Preservation in America. 3rd ed. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment