Thursday, September 15, 2011

All In...


I think the fact that the Historic Third Ward is a National Historic District is wonderful. The original purposes of the usage of the Third Ward speaks of the history of the district, and the history, fabric, evolution, personality, and character of our city. My personal hope is that more districts similarly would be preserved in Milwaukee. This is one of the most historically segregated cities in the United States of America; while this is not a positive trait in our history in some respects, speaking from a standpoint of diversity in a city or county, it is a very interesting fact. I believe that this should be exploited in the preservation of architecture in the old ethnic areas of Milwaukee. How many architects would be lucky enough to live in a city, or design for a city, where the ethnicity and history of a neighborhood is as plainly seen as it is here? I never was raised to think of myself as different than anyone else; in fact, I grew up in a neighborhood where I was the minority. That being said, I remember driving around the city as a child and instinctively knowing where one neighborhood or district started and another began. It was never about the people, it was always about respecting the spirit and architecture of place. Aesthetically and historically, I believe this should absolutely be maintained.

The design guidelines for the Third Ward, while seeming immense at first glance, offer much creativity and ingenuity on the parts of designers, architects, and business owners. There are many opportunities for businesses to thrive in the area, as the property value, street traffic, and mean income of residents continue to rise. The opportunity provided by the design guidelines of the district offer not only these mentioned above, but also a chance, a challenge, to exist creatively, uniquely, and individually within a design community. Compared to other historic districts, the Third Ward guidelines can offer so much freedom for developers and business owners because the district already held so many design aesthetics, so many design styles form different periods. One of my favorite guidelines when reading was that ghost signs need to be maintained. I think that is wonderful way to preserve the history of the design of the area. Those ghost signs are landmarks to residents.

The only weakness that I noted in researching the guidelines was that the district lacks a certain homogeneity that some might expect or desire; it also seems that the district's buildings lack much preservation, and instead seem to be more renovated shadows of the past. However, I think this is a benefit to the area. History is being celebrated, shared, built upon, adding to the area's history, and making it a living and breathing entity, rather than a shell or a ghost of the past. I have friends and relatives who live all over the world, and when they come here to visit, I always brag about the Third Ward, because I feel that it expresses both the past and the future of what Milwaukee was, is, and can be. It is everything I love about the spirit and the grit of this town. I only wish more neighborhoods in the city would take ownership as the Third Ward has.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the weakness you mentioned. The Third Ward has once again became a thriving business district, but it doesn't reflect much of what existed here.

    I do have a question for you, you mentioned hoping more districts in Milwaukee would be preserved. Are you interested in saving there pasts, or just making it a "neat" part of town to go to? I am a sucker for new architecture and I believe bringing in new buildings is a good idea, especially if it is balanced by old districts, such as the Third Ward. And a follow up question would be, If more parts of the city were to be preserved, do you think Milwaukee would stay as segregated as it is, would be less or more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brought me into this post was honestly the picture. Its a great one, reminds me of many nights waiting at the bus stop; which was often very annoying a boring, but not in the third ward. There is always something to look at and admire about in the third ward. I really enjoyed how you talked about Milwaukee's ethic diversity, which would be amazing to see how one area of Milwaukee was influenced by the ethnicity that lived there; much like the third ward was by the Irish and Italians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to J. Wayer: To answer your question, I think both. I think there are a lot of historical neighborhoods n Milwaukee worth saving, but I also do go for aesthetics. Building up and preserving certain areas would be good for our economy, housing and business markets, and would build community and pride.

    ReplyDelete