Monday, September 12, 2011

Riverwest Octagon House



Riverwest is the kind of neighborhood that's not afraid to let its freak flag fly. That's why I hoped to find something interesting in this area while perusing the local preservation commission. Happily, I discovered an abode designed by someone who was not content with anything merely quadrilateral in construction. No, this house pushes the limits of domestic geometry to a grand total of eight sides. Enter the octagon.



2443 North Gordon Place was inspired by Orson Squire Fowler's book A Home for All or a New, Cheap, Convenient, and Superior Mode of Building. It is the last remaining remnant of the octagon craze of the 1850's in Milwaukee, and some say that it only escaped demolition by fleeing from its original construction site to the safe-haven of Riverwest. Orson Fowler was a phrenologist, which was a person who believed he could tell all sorts of things about another person by studying the shape of his head. He also believed the octagon to be a superior shape for a house because it would encompass more square footage than a rectangular house with the same perimeter. Now, I might be concerned about how my bookcases would line up against 45 degree corners, but then again, I'm no phrenologist. Still, I'm happy to have this wacky little house in my neighborhood. Let it serve as a reminder that sometimes people have some pretty loopy ideas, but if it's not hurting anybody, it might just add a little charm to the place. I wouldn't live there myself, but that's just because I'm holding out for a dodecahedron.

"HISTORIC DESIGNATION STUDY REPORT OCTAGON HOUSE." City of Milwaukee. Aug. 1998. Web. 12 Sept. 2011. <http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cityHPC/DesignatedReports/vticnf/HDOctagon.pdf>.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like it would be a really cool house to live in. Do you think the overall shape of the home will become more significant as time goes on? I'm glad you mentioned that there was an octagon craze in Milwaukee in the 1850s because I have seen several other houses like this one, and have always wondered about their story. Also, do you think that this type of building is significant enough to your neighborhood and community to have it established as a historic building?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you picked such an interesting yet cool house! I'm also happy that you mentioned the craze that went on, it helped me understand just why someone would build an octagon shaped house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a very interesting house and its location in Riverwest is significant as it reflects the quirkiness of Riverwest as well as a type of architecture that did have an impact on 19th century design. What are your takes on the strengths and weaknesses of this system of historic designation? Should all quirky houses get designated? Is Riverwest itself considered a historic District locally? That would be a very interesting question to pursue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were 2 other in Milwaukee

    The Gordon Home near Gordon Park and the Dewey house on N4th st. Both Gone.

    ELP
    http://www.octagon.bobanna.com/main_page.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. my friends grew up there. There are secret passages upstairs the the cops never found!

    ReplyDelete