Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Well, it was important at one point...

For the Historic Third Ward design guidelines I have both an positive and negative stance. I will start with the negatives. I can understand why this district was important to Milwaukee in the past, but I do not see why it has been significantly important in the last 4 years that I have lived here. For a negative impact, it comes with a personal story. A few years back when I started maintenance here at MIAD, I was required to paint the outside windowsills from the traditional teal color to the current bronze. For the most part it did not seem like a problem, so the job was started. After approximately three and a half windowsills were painted we had someone from the city call in and asked if we had the color approved by the Third Ward Committee. This had put an immediate halt on the project until I was instructed to come in on the weekend to finish. The silly thing I found about this experience, was the committee would rather leave windowpanes half painted before approving the color rather than finishing the rest of the building. Now I do not know if it was the cities fault or MIAD’s in that situation, but for that case I would believe finish painting the windows and the doors would be better than leaving a half painted job.


The strengths of the committee are there guidelines and how it makes the community a social and friendly place. For example, the street terraces and details to edge activity are very well planned. Instead of walking directly next to a parking lot a nicely laid brick pathway is put in place. As well as restaurants incorporating seating on the walkway invites people to participate in local businesses. The community also provides good challenges to architects to use the old warehouses as modern objects, which is currently a trend for most cities. Although the guidelines have strict building and façade rules, since this district is really being revived for the better, I do not see a problem with not building a high rise.


If there are historic districts I do believe there should be guidelines, they wouldn’t have to be strict, but they would help keep uniformity that was deemed important by the community. Also guidelines do not necessarily restrict building and can be welcome to introducing a revival of that type of architecture. Although guidelines do promote uniformity it must be remember the district was put on the National Register for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that enhancing the appearance of the Third Ward has made it a much safer and appealing place to be. I also think that the guidelines they do have in place, for the most part, are to retain the character, charm, and history of this area. Although they may be strict guidelines, and sometimes frustrating, they are there for a reason, which is primarily to protect the integrity of the area. However, I disagree with your liking of the outdoor restaurant seating. While I do enjoy eating outside, I think that the way the restaurants block the flow of traffic on the sidewalks is a huge inconvenience. Have you encountered anything similar to this in the Third Ward that has caused you difficulties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I understand your plight to finish a job rather then leave it halfway finished; it made more sense for MIAD to wait for permission to paint the windos sills rather then have them painted only to repain them again if the color was not approved. But as you said its hard to tell who was initially at fault, the city or MIAD.
    I too think historical districts should have guides and codes, as said, it unifies a city and brings back the charm of the historical buldings in it; as well as providing innovative solutions for buildings and architectural themes.

    ReplyDelete