Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sussex Community Historic Preservation

Growing up on the countryside definitely gives you a certain perspective on historic value. As a child I was surrounded by simple people, and at no fault of their own, they enjoyed the simple things in life. They especially cherished tradition and had strong values. In my community of Sussex we had various historical sites. Specific to our town, we had brown signs that marked each place. These signs, written in yellow, were very distinguishable. As a child I remember passing them frequently, on the way to the grocery store, to the library as well as to the park. I always wondered why they were so important. I knew they were historic but I never fully grasped the extent of how powerful these places could be for someone. Each sign included a name and story about the place or structure. Once I was older and able to drive I began stopping at various places to check them out. I remember stopping at one house that I passed every morning on my way to high school. It grabbed my attention because it looked so “non-historical” that I had to find out what was up. I found out that the structure had been home to a famous gangster who prided himself in his connection to Al Capone. Allegedly the gangster went missing and no one ever heard from him again. Sussex has many different stories each one unique to the place or structure it belongs to.
As I reflect, I realize the importance of storytelling and the impact witnessing these historic places can be. Knowing that you are standing in the same place the someone else once stood feels pretty cool and allows someone of my generation an opportunity to have an out-of-body experience, which ultimately builds character and understanding. From my experience I believe that it is important to preserve the past in hopes to ensure change and growth for future generations.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting on how we are often surrounded by historic preservation and the decisions on what to save vary over time and location. For Sussex, it was obviously important to designate this structure that seemed "non-historical" because of who had resided in it. It is always important to recall that there are a myriad of reasons for saving a building or district not just its visual impact.

    ReplyDelete