Monday, September 19, 2011

Historic Third Ward

I have been down to the Third Ward a couple of times before I started high school with my mom. She loves the little shops that are around here. However, I never paid attention to the design aspect of the buildings, I just thought they were built extremely cool. Since then, there have been renovations here and there to make sure the overall look of the historic ward was together. Back then, I didn't know these buildings were historic. Fast forward to now, I see how all the elements of the buildings and light posts pull together a beautiful design that I think will never go out of style.

As I read the guidelines, I guess I never really thought about how much thought and detail goes into designing a district. No matter how small or big an element maybe, you want to make sure everything is unified. Parking lots, street parking along with the little shops, those are just some of the details that I'm sure took a lot of time and energy to figure out. That's a small area...I'm surprised by how just having a unified look and then something on a building is wrong, it broke or fell off, it ruins the whole districts image. However that goes for every piece that is designed.

I think there should be design guidelines in districts such as the Historic Third Ward. HTW is an awesome example, it's not sore to the eye, it's pleasant to look at and be in. The atmosphere, I think, is totally different than other parts of Milwaukee. To me, it takes me back a little bit; with other districts having design guidelines, they can easily create an area where people can come and escape to present.

No comments:

Post a Comment