Thursday, October 6, 2011



I have lived a few blocks away from The Iron Horse Hotel for over 3 years now, and unfortunately dismissed it. Purely out of naivety I passed it off as just another overpriced spot for business men to spend the night. While I haven't had the need to stay there ever I feel like I have missed out. The short answer the Iron Horse was just well executed. It has a beauty and elegance that is balanced perfectly with rugged comfort. The fact that this building was adapted from its original use makes it even more of a succes. I have worked on building a new home and I have worked redoing and updating older areas of homes, i.e. kitchens and bathrooms. By far that later is much more work. My experience is only involved with small projects. For the Iron Horse hotel the extensive evaluation of the area, the building and the architecture must have been quite an undertaking.
The layout the bar and restaurants all the way down to the scraps sitting on the coffee tables it all flows together. You walk into the hotel and you can feel there is history in it. Part of that is because not only did adapt the building they saved materials and brought them back into the hotel and example being the concrete countertops. The look and feel of the Iron Horse isn't because it's true to a certain time period, but more the feeling of an era. It's jumbled up history which is much more true to life.












3 comments:

  1. The bar there was probably my favorite place in the Hotel. I honestly want to go there sometime for a drink. It was ingenious how they reused the drafting stools, gears, and Edison light bulbs at the bar. I love the atmosphere and it hits modern preservation for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a lot of the character of the building is hidden to the inside of the hotel so its appeal is not as apparent from the street, allowing it to be easily over looked. I don't mind that characteristic because it allows for a transition stage for the guest as they step through the doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your image of the bar is very successful in evoking that connection between the old and the new. I agree with you building new is often easier than working with the old, but working with the old can be very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete