Monday, October 31, 2011

Lake Park Friends, Indians, and Trolls

I knew that the North Point Lighthouse existed but had no idea Lake Park was an actual established park within Milwaukee. I was surprised and excited to see such a beautiful ‘natural’ area within Milwaukee as being part of a preservation project. I realize that the park was ‘planned’ but if it hadn’t been ‘planned’, there might not have been a park there in the first place.

I was excited to see that Indian mounds within the area were being preserved, other than the fact that the plaque on the one we took a look at was placed right on top of the mound. Native Americans were a huge part of Milwaukee’s past, and I think that it’s important that current and future generations acknowledge the past which their present and future is built upon.

The North Point Lighthouse, however, was somewhat of a disappointment to me. I was more impressed with the outside of the lighthouse and the surrounding landscaped area than the inside of the lighthouse itself. The inside seemed overly re-made and modernized. It didn’t help that there was a flat screen television sitting in the front room. I’m sure the original keepers didn’t have such a thing. Another thing that was disappointing was that a lot of the stuff inside the lighthouse was ‘remakes’ of what MIGHT have been the original. Nothing seemed to match the time-period.

Despite of my cynical attitude towards the renovated and ‘restored’ lighthouse, it is nice to see that the lighthouse was able to stick around. The landmark stands for Milwaukee’s past history and its architecture adds to the landscape surrounding Lake Park.

Side note!:

Trolls under the bridge?

I took a picture of what appears to be a barred window built into the side of the bridge. This was intriguing to me because I’ve never seen such a thing. I tried doing some outside research on the subject but wasn’t even sure what I should be researching. I speculate trolls.


Getting back on track now. I think that preserving a park/natural environment is as equally important as preserving an area such as Mount Vernon. Each destination holds its own antiquity and value. Mount Vernon is significant to the founding of our country and it is fascinating to those who are able to go and visit the area. A natural preserved area is important because as populations grow and as civilization progresses, natural environments are dwindling away, and it is important that we realize the importance and significance of nature.

Without groups such as the Lake Park Friends and the North Point Lighthouse Friends, preservation projects like these wouldn’t be able to exist. If there was no one who stood up for their beliefs in preserving the natural environment or built environment in Milwaukee, areas like these probably wouldn’t exist. Often times we get caught up in moving forward and making progress towards the future that the past gets forgotten, and important historic landmarks and natural areas become destroyed.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your speculation on the trolls living under the bride. We have all heard those stories, and you pointing that out is perfect. I might argue that the preservation of green spaces is more important that preserving areas such as mount vernon. I think it is very important to have green spaces in the urban environment as the population grows and the city expands. Spaces like Lake Park provide fantastic views and wide open spaces as well as shade trees to really lose yourself in. At parts of this park I almost forgot we were in the city. For that reason alone this park is really important and deserves people like the Lake Park Friends to look after and support it. Nice post! still cant stop thinking abou the trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never noticed that before. Now, I'll need to go find out what it is. I suspect what you are actually seeing is a section of the bridge that is undergoing repairs. What is visible is the steel re-bar that was reinforcing the concrete structure, but now the concrete has been removed so you can see what appears to be a window with bars on it. I don't think there are trolls, but the park with its irregular terrain and wonderful bridges would make the perfect picturesque setting for a troll.

    ReplyDelete