Monday, October 10, 2011

Preservation Paper


When we were talking in class about the issue of expanding the Hwy, right past Miller Park, in order to accommodate heavy traffic flow I was curious about the well being of graveyards in general. Under what conditions are graveyards considered deemed worthy of being saved? And when does the needs of society take precedence over preservation? I was previously aware of the general rule that a graveyard can not be tampered with after 100 years of the last headstone, due to the fact that there was a graveyard in front of my elementary school and there was nothing the school board could do to remove the "eerie presence." There are several topics that are relevant to the class and I'm sure it doesn't cross most peoples' minds very often. That's why I figured this topic most readers would find as intriguing after they get over the weird subject matter. A few subjects that crossed my mind is with a growing society and limited land, what is the line that defines whether building or road construction should take place over keeping the graveyard. Could certain characteristics of a graveyard, such as being" haunted," like the La Belle Cemetery make it historic? If damage is done to a graveyard through natural disasters, accidents, or vandalism what measures are taken to restore the headstones close enough to their original state. Is being buried compared to the graves above ground a better route to go? I believe that there is a certain level of respect that must be maintained for dead and through my research maybe I'll find out if it's better bet to be cremated based on preservation efforts. (Slight joke)

No comments:

Post a Comment