Thursday, October 6, 2011

Inviting Space


Preservation is about reusing what is existing and making a practical every day purpose. I am convinced that The Iron Horse hotel embodies that idea and is a prime example in the Milwaukee Area. On the tour I took several images and out of the several I took it was difficult to choose one. The Iron Horse doesn’t simply focus on preservation as a superficial what looks good on the outside idea, but carries preservation throughout the entire building. Thus this picture feel really embodies what the Iron Horse is.

First of all, in this unit we have been discussing the preservation of American buildings, and it goes without saying, that it’s necessary to be able to see the structure as a whole. I thought that an outside picture would be important for showing this. Furthermore as a Chicago industrial style building with its bright Red Brick it is important to share that characteristic. The theme is continued on the top with the company Logo spread across the roof using a heavy slab serif font and the heavy angular logo are prime examples of what the hotel is about. It is upscale but also caters to a heavier sort of crowed, the biker crowed. Finally, my favorite part of this image is the bright crossing triangles of the outside yard. They worked amazing as shades that were vibrant in the bright sunlight. In this photo I see them more as a representing shape. The hotel is a modern approach to preservation caring an old them of the building, a warehouse and sort of dirty factory, to a new hotel. I love the shapes it complements the red brick while pushing movement through the photo just as the hotel wants to suck you in and move you through its many displays and designs. And finally the triangles are very warm shapes, and with my positive experience on the tour I found it to be a very warm and inviting space. I definitely would love to go there again sometime.

1 comment:

  1. Josh, I think that your image really captures the attitude of the Iron Horse in that it has this serious solid foundation, but as you not the triangles cut across the composition to really capture the interactive "fun" atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete