Sunday, October 9, 2011

Arlington Park



For my topic, I have chosen to research the Arlington Park racetrack in Arlington Heights, Illinois, and discuss why it is worthy of preservation. This racetrack is referred to as “the most beautiful track in America,” and has been hosting Thoroughbred racing since October 13, 1927 (Duchossois). It is currently owned by Churchill Downs, which is the organization that owns the Churchill Downs racetrack where the Kentucky Derby is held. Churchill Downs is already considered a historic location, so why not preserve Arlington Park, which is essentially the Midwest’s Kentucky Derby, as well? I plan on researching the track’s history, the people and horses who made it a sought-after destination, and how those people, animals, and events have impacted the surrounding environment. Overall, I will be discussing why the racetrack should be preserved, and the significant impact it has had on its community.

There are a few things that I hope to uncover throughout my research. First, I want to understand why the racetrack seems to be in trouble financially, and how it went from a prosperous business to one that is struggling. As referenced earlier, I want to discover how the racetrack has contributed to racing history through significant events, people, horses, or races. Next, I want to research the façade of the building. I was comparing old and new pictures of the building, and it seems like the façade has changed quite a bit due to an unfortunate fire; this will be something to look into, and see if it is perhaps hindering its preservation. However, I see these changes in aesthetic as beneficial rather than hurting the integrity of the building. Lastly, I want to gain a better understanding of how betting ties into the culture and sustainment of the horse racing industry.

Arlington Park connects to the idea of preservation in several ways. It is a location where significant, history-changing events occurred that have impacted a community. The racetrack also stands as a monument to the entire racing culture, which has inspired American culture in several ways, such as movies, finances, and ritualistic viewing and gambling habits. It is also a beautiful location that deserves to be preserved for future generations to enjoy and experience. Preservation is about protecting the past for future generations to enjoy, and the only way to ensure that this racetrack has a prolonged future is to protect it from the harm of destruction.

I chose to research this topic for a few reasons. I wanted to pick something that relates to a subject that I am passionate about, which is horses. These animals are a big part of my life, and they influence a lot of what I do both inside and outside of school. I also chose this subject because I have visited the site before, and was awed by its beauty and scale; the grounds themselves seem to stretch on for miles. This was where I witnessed my first horse race, so it also has sentimental meaning to me. I had such a great time when I was there, and I want to be able to experience this joy and excitement again someday with another visit. Everyone I have talked to mentions how they remember going there at one time or another, and how much they enjoyed their visit. It would be a shame if something so unique and aesthetically pleasing would someday fall into a state of decay and be lost forever.

Works Cited:

Duchossois, Richard L. "History of Arlington Park." Arlington Park. Churchill Downs Incorporated, 2011. Web. 24 Sept. 2011. http://www.arlingtonpark.com/node/1811.

Images:

Front view of building

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=251010&page=33

View of racetrack and back of building

http://www.chicagonow.com/lists-that-actually-matter/2011/07/10-things-i-enjoyed-about-arlington-park-on-saturday/ ­

No comments:

Post a Comment