Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Landscapes of Class

Initially, I was very interested in themes like adaptation, collective conservatism and optimistic functionalism and I wasn't sure where to go from there. With more research and many mind maps, I found a topic that encompassed them all - Gentrification. For my research I want to identify how human society today uses historical preservation as a catalyst for contemporary gentrifiers. Exploring theorist Karl Marx as well as social philosopher Adam Smith, will provide one perspective to many factors leading into class struggle and falling rate of profit. Furthermore, identifying instances of black/white flight and examples of urban renewal projects to confirm that a group of in-movers reduces residential density and replaces an existing population. Ultimately my article will shed light on the appropriate approach to historical preservation in terms of valuing each neighborhood's specific economic and social concerns, understanding them as inextricably tied to a complex local history, and devising appropriate solutions and strategies responsive to the communities needs and aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment