Monday, October 31, 2011

Pennsylvania Station

For my topic I am choosing to research the original above ground structure and the demolition of Pennsylvania Station, in New York City. As the major transportation center for commuters travelling in and out of the city, the current above ground structure was completed in 1968 after a bitter and historic battle to save the original and grand above ground station completed in 1910. I want to research the culture, politics, and attitudes about preservation of those on each side of the issue leading to the decision to demolish the original above ground structures. I also want to understand the processes leading to the decision to demolish the train station commonly called Penn Station. My initial thoughts are that destroying Penn Station was a huge mistake and a tremendous loss to the architectural landscape in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment